Sunday, June 21, 2009

Fishing

Seth has taken the boys fishing twice this summer. So far they have nothing to show for their efforts but that hasn't seemed to spoil the fun. I think Ryan and James are more interested in spending time with their father in the mountains than they are in the actual fishing itself. Probably they wouldn't know what to do with a fish if they caught one--they certainly wouldn't want to eat it!

I have not been tempted to accompany them on these outings. It's been nearly two decades since I've gone fishing and that's fine by me. I don't like fishing. I haven't liked it since the summer of 1990 when I was working at the second dude ranch.

Lake Mancos Ranch had a small, stocked fishing pond.
Every Wednesday we would ride down to the fishing hole and the guests would get off and fish. The fish would be driven back to the ranch and served as dinner on Friday. I do not remember why it started, but I quickly developed a bad attitude about the weekly fishing ride. Each week I would try to convince my group that they didn't really want to fish. It never worked. I always ended up at the fishing hole. Everyone else seemed to enjoy fishing,
but I managed to go through the entire summer without catching orcleaning a fish.I didn't eat them, either!

In these pictures: Tracy (pink shirt), Theresa (grey Colorado sweatshirt), Andy (cleaning fish) and various guests. The horses are Popcorn, Mike and Amigo.

No comments: