Friday, August 20, 2010

Wild, Wild World of Animals

When I was a kid, I loved shows like Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and Wild, Wild World of Animals. I dreamed of going to Africa and working on a wildlife refuge. I still think that would be pretty cool, but I realize now that it's unlikely to happen.

Fortunately, I don't have to go all the way to Africa to see lions (or tigers or bears). Yesterday the kids and I took advantage of the cloudy morning and spent some time animal watching at the Denver Zoo.
The big cats were always my favorites, so it seems appropriate that the lion habitat is right next to the Zoo entrance.
It's wonderful to see them up close like that...
even if it is through a pane of glass!
Cheetahs were my childhood favorites and I still like them today.
The boys, however, were most in love with this baby California Sea Lion.
The capybarra is the world's largest rodent. I don't think this would fit in our rat cage.
I kind of wanted to steal the Arctic Fox.
And just for the record, I do not think Maggie looks like a hyena!
Of course, no zoo trip is complete without a long visit with the zebras.
August 2010

No comments: